Self taught and motivated professional consistently recognized for providing high level technical expertise and creative solutions to hard, large scale problems. Proficiency with Kubernetes, Unix operating systems and Puppet as well as Jenkins, Terraform, and Python for automating cloud infrastructure.
Several years of working in Python for day-to-day projects and application development. Professionally, I’ve used Python to develop everything from web applications using Django to gluing disperate backend APIs and cloud services together. Personally, I’ve used Python to create home automation services, automate the scraping and wrangling of large data sets and data streams for crypto exchanges and other third party financial platforms for high frequency trading activity, as well as created bots for platforms such as Discord and Slack.
Deep understanding and proficiency with writing shell scripts in Bash. Most of the time I prefer to do these tasks in Python, however.
Entry level working knowledge of Go. I have worked on a number of projects that are written in Go but generally still prefer working in Python when practical. To put it bluntly, if hired to work exclusively with Go, I would need a bit more time to re-familiarize myself with the language to the point at which I am familiar with Python, but I would have no trouble or objection to working in the language full time.
Terraform and Google Cloud
I was the Lead Engineer in the development of a maintainable and scalable solution for cloud resources management within GCP. Extensive experience working with Terraform in conjuction with Atlantis, Python, and Jenkins to automate the testing and deployment of infrastructure code maintainined in a large shared git repository.
Member of a small team responsible for developing and driving the adoption of Kuberentes and service based architecture as a replacement for an aging monolithic application and system stack.
Used puppet to manage a fleet of over 2000 physical servers across multiple datacenters. Comfortable with all aspects of puppet management from module developement to the creation and maintenance of roles and profiles for a variety of system classifications.
Unix Operating Systems
Almost 20 years of home Linux use and 12 years of professional use. Primary familiarity with RedHat Enterprise Linux (CentOS) and secondary with Ubuntu Linux. Intermediate experience with FreeBSD for use of ZFS based network file storage.
Senior Software Engineer – 2016 - present
- Develop tools and APIs to assist engineers in building and maintaining cloud and on-prem services
- A lead engineer on cloud infrastructure greenfield project
- Key member of the team leading Kubernetes on-prem adoption
- Provision, maintain and automate large scale infrastructure powering mailchimp.com
- Mentor junior engineers and interns
Georgia Tech Research Institute
Senior IT Support Professional – 2011 - 2016
- Maintain the Linux servers and desktops used by a team of over 100 software engineers
- Manage interns and coop student assistants
- Develop automation workflows for securing and validating DoD secure systems
CareStream Dental Systems
Helpdesk Support – 2009 - 2011
- Field technical support calls for Carestream Dental Systems Customers
- Maintain “unofficial” internal XMPP chat server
QA and Technical Support – 2008 - 2009
- Develop QA and Technical Support procedures for a small online learning software company
- Endurance sports (cycling/triathlon)
- Speed skating (wheels, not ice)
- Science Fiction Literature
- Computer History